4/13/13

NMSU Spring Football Practice Saturday April, 13th

To start off with, the tempo this weekend was a little more down from last week. They could be getting a little tired perhaps. Also to add they did a small scrimmage and focused on red zone and field goal, which I will add no field goal was missed inside the 30.

 Again I was watching the offense mostly and no one really stood out today except for RB Germi Morrison.
He found the holes and burst through them and got plenty of yards. I think the longest run he had during the situational scrimmage was probably 40 yards at most. Passing was off and perhaps that is why the recievers did not do a great job of catching the ball as well as not seeing any that really stood out. So I have not seen anyone at this point step up to be Franklins opposite.

The depth at running back is still unsure. WR Fielder was getting reps at RB along with Betancourt and Hall. All 4 got the same amount of reps as did the Quarterbacks. What did catch my eye is in the red zone they were running some Pistol formation, or a variation of it and it was successful on most cases. I did see Hall put down some great blocks on pass coverage and is not afraid to get his hat on someone. Great effort by him today. I know its not normal for smaller running backs to be great at pass blocking. I saw Betancourt do like a have arched lunge at a player that was still 4-5 yards away and that lead to a hard sack.

Quarterbacks, no one is really taking a huge lead as of yet. But I will tell you this, as of now you will see King Davis III a starter in the near future if he can make improvements on his reads and throwing on the run and back foot.  He is an athlete. Manley is still the front runner, with the starting experience he has, with the offense being implemented. He will need better pocket protection to be effective. Lets just say when the pocket collapses, it reminds of me Chase Holbrook trying to escape from danger in the pocket. Colwell and McDonald ran the option well, made pitches in time. All Four quarterbacks were not having any luck at all on the option read. Hopefully they can improve on that since it is a widely used play call. Accuracy today was not good, a lot of passes thrown into traffic or over thrown or bad route by the receiver.

The weakness still will be the offensive line. They can't hold a block or they get powered through by the defense. The guards pulled well on the option play on occasion and the offense was able to get a few good plays from that. But it just seems like their foot work is a little slow and getting beat on the outside. It may even be the blitzes and they are not picking up the right player.

I usually can figure out a line a lot better, but I guess I will just need to by closer to the line of scrimmage than far away.


There were some injuries to report. I saw Abram Holland come off during the scrimmage favoring his ankle. Another I cant remember who, but had similar issue. The third player, I have no idea who it was. I did not ask. But it was not pretty. WR Fielder ran the ball to the outside and they both lowered their pads, same height, gruesome hit. One got up, one did not. He laid there with no movement for some time and they took a long while to prep him to get him into the ambulance. I am not sure what the injury is, but when I started the post, I heard the helicopter flying over(since im right next to NMSU) at the student parking by the Pan Am, to pick him up. My thoughts are with him, the team and all of Aggie Nation.


Also there was an addition to the roster as well.  23 CB Chris Jinna 6-0 175 SO
That is all I will post for now.

1 comment: